[Fluxus] Fluxus in "Der Live Code - Krieg und Frieden im globalen Dorf"

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 20:16:28 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 07:26:25PM +0100, Rolf Meinecke wrote:

> As a complete scheme/LISP beginner I had a hard time to get into the language. Googling for Fluxus, scheme and racket made me an expert in contemporary art, financial fraud systems and tennis equipment. I found it hard to find relevant code examples. The racket documentation site is quite complete, but lacking simple examples.

I recognise the issue. Scheme as a language requires a certain way of
thinking and that has to "click" with/in you, that can take a while.
One resource I found useful is Gabor's videos;
http://vimeo.com/gabor/videos
With some pausing and keeping the Racket site at hand to look up
interesting bits you can learn a lot. Also good for me was starting
some larger projects and continually cleaning up code until all of the
ugly bits looked like self-evident simple statements. In my experience
well-written Scheme makes stuff look simple.

Another interesting way of learning is to look for a aspiring DJ and
practice with them; especially vinyl DJ's need to practice for hours
and with the "rec" output from the mixer to your computer's audio in
you can motivate each other in a fun way.

I hope some of those tips will be of use to you, in my experience
Scheme's learning curve has a big bump early on after which things
become a lot more fun but even that bump can be made fun.