[Fluxus] Fluxus in "Der Live Code - Krieg und Frieden im globalen Dorf"

Rolf Meinecke fluxus at jsilence.org
Tue Mar 19 11:26:25 PDT 2013

Dear Fluxonians!

I just wanted to let you know that we successfully used Fluxus in a theatre play in Dortmund:
http://www.theaterdo.de/detail/event/289/?not=1   Thank you for the code!

The play is without live actors, but with one video artist (using Max/SP), one musician (using Ableton live) and one live coder (me, using Fluxus). There are five video screens and a couple of monitors and the audience is free to roam between the screens and our large table full of equipment and cables. The sound system has quadrophonic outer speakers and two stereo speakers in the middle of the room, which allows for fascinating soundscapes of generative music made by Martin Juhls.

We started the project with three people, but after a while we had a team of seven, hacking away with blender, pure data, node.js, python/cython, Quartz Composer and other stuff.
Hotte from Chaostreff Dortmund programmed a OSC hub which allowed us to multiplex OSC messages in our network. This network then served as the nerve system of the artificial being which we frankensteiner on during the 80 minutes of our play. http://www.chaostreff-dortmund.de/

You can find the code on Github:
https://github.com/organizations/DerLiveCode

I did not yet find the time to commit my Fluxus code. I am sure those of you who have been coding with Fluxus for a while will recognize a lot of the code. I stole^H^H^H^H^Hstand on your shoulders. Thank you and I hope that is okay. Gabor, thanks for publishing the examples in Hackpackt! It helped a lot reading and exploring those examples.

As for the Toplap manifesto, we were aware of the goals it represents and appreciate the approach. For the play we decided not to follow all of its rules. We are trying to tell a story to the audience. Thus I am reproducing prepared sets which I can play with a little, but in general the same code appears every time in the same scene.

But some friends and I are inspired by live coding in general and we plan for a couple of live coding sessions in different contexts. Lately I supported my DJ friends from globalibre.de with some Fluxus visuals: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29997556  (starting at minute 41).
Further into the set Dennis spontaneously live coded for the fist time, using the MrDoobs Javascript editor. Enjoy!

Today Dennis, hotte and I are giving talks about three.js, chaosc and Fluxus at the Chaostreff Dortmund:
http://www.chaostreff-dortmund.de/2013/03/14/vortrag-die-technik-von-der-live-code/

As a complete scheme/LISP beginner I had a hard time to get into the language. Googling for Fluxus, scheme and racket made me an expert in contemporary art, financial fraud systems and tennis equipment. I found it hard to find relevant code examples. The racket documentation site is quite complete, but lacking simple examples.

Often I'd come across some Fluxus code snippets some time later when I googled for specific fluxus function names.
I collected those into my examples folder and experimented there. I am unsure whether it would be okay to simply include those files into the git repository, since it is code by other people. I'd provide a README, clearly stating that this is mostly code by other people, but I can't reconstruct completely which bit I found where. Some is from the Fluxus documentation, some from this mailing list, some from Gabors hackpackt website and some of the stuff I simply can not remember.

What do you think? Is it okay to dump it into one place simply to help Fluxus newbies to get a good start?

Best regards,

-rolf