[Fluxus] compile problem on linux

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 07:43:56 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:10:53AM -0500, plutek wrote:

> interesting ideas, and i may take a look at drFlux. still, i guess my basic question is why fluxus (this nice, light, and nimble tool) needs the whole big machinery of racket before we can even compile it...

Well, we are using libraries for a lot of stuff. No need to re-invent
the wheel on topics like FFT, playing samples, loading and writing
images, dealing with OSC and MIDI.... and Racket is a nice Scheme.
There are smaller Scheme's (ok, most are, I think) but this way we
have easy access to a whole series of powerful libraries.

Racket is a huge system and building it takes ages, but the core part
that we need while running is not that big, from there on you can
require the extra bits that you need (classes can come in handy, for
example).

Architecturally speaking it's not a bad choice at all but indeed
getting it all to work can be tricky and probably is keeping back
adoption of FLuxus. Speaking purely for myself I can say that I found
that process educational and worthwhile. That's not to say I don't
still occasionally curse at it all. Then again; I can't complain
because I myself manoeuvred myself into a position tailor made for
much rewarding fun and a lot of cursing by poking at the source :-).

Stick with it. it'll be fun!