[Fluxus] Fluxus & Syphon

Ted VjBros tedr56 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:11:56 PST 2013

Hi the list,

I've been testing the ffgl plugin from syphon in fluxus.

For people who doesn't know what's Syphon is, it's a mac osx system to share easily video buffers between applications.
A Syphon server send the compatible application picture,
and in the syphon client, you can choose which syphon server to display.

First, for those interested,
once the dmg package downloaded fromhere  <http://syphon-implementations.googlecode.com/files/Syphon%20for%20FreeFrameGL%20Public%20Beta%202.dmg>  and mounted, you get a .bundle file.
You need to open the package and retrieve the syphonserver file (with no extension).
Then if I remenber, copy this file to script folder in fluxus material directory.
(I'm writing this by memory, I don't actually have a mac right now)

I finally managed to run it with render->texture in a pixels primitive with syphon ffgl plugin loaded on it.
With few stability issues, I finally could send the fluxus picture in a vj software (Resolume).
But there is two strange point on this.

1) The plugin has two parameters. "Name" wich define the sub-name of the server visible in the client side.
    And "Display" to specify if the picture is still display in the server side. Here, the pixels primitive.
    The issue here, the "Name" parameter doesn't seem to change, and in the client server's list, the name stay on "Fluxus/Undefined".
    This is more a problem in case of multi fluxus instances.

2) I saw this behaviour with screencasting too (on Linux), FLuxus seems to "pause" when no content is displayed.
    In Fluxus, when all contents are destroyed and there is a black window; in syphon, the last "contented" frame remains.
    I don't know if it's a normal behaviour, but I thought we could force Fluxus to send one more (black) frame, to have the actual picture.

That's it for know. I hope it was understandable.
I haven't tested the other configuration, get a syphon buffer in fluxus with syphon client. This is the next step.
I'll try to catch the script and full method of this on my friend's Mac.

Cheers,
Ted