[Fluxus] fluxa fixes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 12:22:17 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 05:55:59PM +0000, David Griffiths wrote:

Hey Dave.

> Not sure if its a particular sample or some sort of non-realtime
> allocation or processing timing issue, which means we need to fix the
> loader thread (more likely this is the case than a libsndfile bug)...
> it's intermittent which is why the simple wav loader tends to
> accidentally get committed around gig times :)

Right, ok. That's not extremely urgent then as I think the simple one
also works with my collection of classic mono samples. It does not
work on PPC architectures, but that was more of a "recreational
tinkering" thing than something I insist we should have :-).

> This one seems fine here (on master and redacted branch).

Yes, that one should be fine, I imagine :-)

> Just tried this, running for 20 mins now...

Ok, that makes me happy. That means I did not muck up merging
(go-flux) -though that one needs a cleanup, I can do better now. and
it also means I can still write a nice loop :-)

> So the problem must be either another 32/26bit issue, or..?

I think so. We might theorise there is some variable in the ringbuffer
that is implicitly 32 or 64 bits, gets set to 64 on your side and to
32 here. That would explain it.

> Are you getting any messages to stderr from fluxa when it goes wrong? If
> the ringbuffer isn't being emptied fast enough it will tell you when it
> runs out...

No, no clear errors, those I would have investigated. I might be
getting compile-time warnings though, I could look into that more
closely. I noticed while looking into those earlier errors that I
could change a lot of that stuff without GCC complaining, that was a
bit disturbing to me as some of what I tried was quite plainly
"wrong".

At least this narrows it down significantly; I suspect something
int-size related in one of your last few commits. Hope testing
Redacted was a fun experience, I could imagine it was a slightly
disorienting experience as that example accidentally involved quite a
lot of my stuff. Must be not unlike a stranger re-decorating your
livingroom :-)

Cheers,