[Fluxus] Fluxa and Jack

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:35:49 PST 2012

Hey Dave,

Yesterday I was setting up Fluxus&Fluxa on a more recent Ubuntu
version than I had tried myself so far (11.10, needed here because
version become delicate with multi-booting MacBooks).

Here Fluxa did not want to automatically connect to the stereo out of
the soundcard like it normally does (using jackd2). To be fair;
"normal" was a complaint about jack_client_new being depreciated so we
could have seen that coming. I went around it by including some calls
to jack_connect in my bash script that starts jackd, Fluxus and FLuxa,
but probably this should be fixed properly with -I believe- a
jack_client_open in the source.

We could also consider updating at this point to have Fluxus and/or
Fluxa start a jackd server if none exists yet? I wonder whether we can
do that without harming the current behaviour of Fluxus working
without a jack-server when we don't happen to need one?