[Fluxus] My first fluxus-powered project

Ted VjBros tedr56 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 02:23:24 PST 2012

Le 06/12/2012 17:10, mrk25 a écrit :
> Hi Kas, thanks for your suggestions, i'll try to explain a couple of things.
>
>> I looked over it and I couldn't spot the "terrible hack". Could you
>> explain what you are doing and why? I have a hunch it has to do with
>> blur's effects on the background, I have at times wanted to do
>> something like that, at least.
> hope my english here isn't too weird to understand: please forgive me,
> I'm Italian :)
>
> The first big problem that I encountered is that I can't load .obj files
> on-the-fly because it freezes the output for some seconds...
>
> So i load them all when executing the first script ( _start_linux.scm +
> the included lib/objects.scm ) and put all objects by default to -1000
> on Y axis.
>
> After that the function (shapeSchema) - which is called when pressing
> keyboard letters to have a sort of control pad ( see lib/keys.scm file )
> - passes to the function (pulse) the objects that must be moved up of
> 1000 on the y axis and animated.
>
> Here comes another problem: once an object is passed to the (pulse)
> function and substituted with another, I can still see the first moving
> and rotating 1000 units far in the background... quite ugly, because
> when loading many objects they become an irregular spot fluctuating in
> the far background.
>
> At this point I needed to fastly patch this behaviour before saturday
> and introduced a bgPlane object in the (pulse) function, that is simply
> a very big black plane, still placed at -75 untis on the Z axis. It
> hides far objects keeping the nearest ones well visible.
>
> I guess it's not the proper way to do such things, but for now it's the
> better solution I found, and enough for saturday evening.
>
> Any help on this issues will be much appreciated.

Hi mrk,
What you can do is to set your objects to hide with
(with-primitive your-obj
     (hide 1))
Let them on the origin and when you need to show your object just call
(with-primitive your-obj
     (hide 0))

The other solution, if it feet, is to let your objects hiddden, and call (draw-instance your-obj).
Although the original is hidden, the instance will appear (if I remember).
You enter in drawing mode, so you don't have access to pdata's but you steel can manipulate the instances
with translate, rotate and scale.
The advantage is you can make any instances of your original object and they'll disappear as soon as you stop calling (draw-instance)
The build way to do this is (build-copy), but you have to store your copy in a variable, to (destroy variable) later.

Also, I had some background issues to. It came from the (blur) function which depending of
you place it make this artefact. Try to place it outside a (with-sate). It worked form me.

I'll give a look to your git code.

Good luck with your gig.

Cheers,
Ted