[Fluxus] My first fluxus-powered project

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:54:20 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:33:56PM +0100, mrk25 wrote:
> Hi all,

Hey MRK,

> On saturday evening I'm going to run my first fluxus-powered vj-set (
> this is the related event post, in italian:
> http://subaddiction.net/2012/11/wobble-lovers-live-subaddiction-vj-set-leoncavallo-milano/

Cool!

> For now the program is simply made of .obj solids pulsing and rotating
> along with the music heard by microphone. (with an horrible hack to
> mantain a solid black background)

I looked over it and I couldn't spot the "terrible hack". Could you
explain what you are doing and why? I have a hunch it has to do with
blur's effects on the background, I have at times wanted to do
something like that, at least.

> Maybe my code will appear very ugly to skilled racket hackers, but I
> hope someone could find in it something interesting.

Didn't look so terrible at all. What surprised me most was how you
tend to use (define) inside of other (define) statements. I didn't
think that was legal. You may want to look into using "let" for such
local variables. It goes like this;

(let ((x 1) (y 2) (z 3))
	(with-state
		(translate (vector x y z))
		(build-cube)))

There x, y and z are named variables local to the "let" scope. If they
would depend on each other you'd use (let* ) instead.

But hey, if it works.. :-). Generally I think that the bigger your
project becomes the more Racket itself will steer you towards "proper"
code. I'm finding that a very pleasant process.

Good luck with your gig!