[Fluxus] The cost of text?

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Sep 20 07:09:00 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 15:44 +0200, gabor papp wrote:
> hi Kas,
>
> > For reference; I tried to keep the FPS at about 30 and was testing with "top
> > -d 1". The difference I was seeing was between about 45% and 65% CPU load so
> > that's quite a significant increase for displaying a paragraph.
> i haven't checked the editor code for a long time, but i remember fixing
> the load dialog a while ago. it was very slow in directories containing
> lots of files, because it was displaying everything, even all the lines
> out of screen. it is possible that the editor does the same. and there
> might be other things to optimize as well if it's still not enough.

I don't think the editor displays text which isn't visible above or
below the page, but it possibly tries to render text off the right hand
side (not that this should be a super common problem if it does).

The old editor used to use textured quads for each character which is
much faster, currently it renders each glyph as geometry created by the
glu tessellator - although they are cached so they are only created once
per character used. This is much more readable, but does indeed have a
cost relative to the number of characters. It's more than possible that
some simple optimisations could help here.

I would like to at least have the text rendering method optional, so we
can switch back to rendered quads for things like the android version.

I had hoped to get some progress on this by now, but things as they are
it's difficult for me to get any fluxus work done (trying to direct
future funding in this general direction).