[Fluxus] The cost of text?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 04:24:38 PDT 2011

Dear list,

I was trying to test some CPU costs in Fluxus, with the intention of seeing
whether I'd need to try to free CPU in some code and if so where. I noticed
that the code overlay costs CPU; that's to be expected, clearly displaying
text costs more CPU than not displaying text. However what surprised me was
that the cpu cost of a long text over a (very) short one is bigger than the
difference between a short one and none. On my system I noticed quite a
difference between the cost of about one paragraph to the cost of two
paragraphs.

For reference; I tried to keep the FPS at about 30 and was testing with "top
-d 1". The difference I was seeing was between about 45% and 65% CPU load so
that's quite a significant increase for displaying a paragraph.

With the planned overhaul of how we deal with the code layer it's probably
not worth trying to remedy this now but there might be some cause to this
that we could avoid in the second generation?