[Fluxus] fluxa reversed samples and related matters

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:22:16 PDT 2011

Dave;

I quite like the sound of this.

Yes, it's fun. I'd say that generally speaking this class of bugs leads to
general transitions from one kind of behaviour to another as well as some
instruments (the kick in my case) being influenced by other (a reversed
rimshot), This sounds like a interesting kind of thing to do on purpose
too...

What if we'd create a modulation source a bit like this;
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/stk/classstk_1_1Modulate.html . We'd
give it -say- 3 parameters and make the node take 2 of those and keep a
randomly chosen 3rd set to that node's last setting (from it's last
"incarnation"). What way in a piece for just a lead sound transitions would
go more slowly than we code them in a randomised way and in a piece for lead
and bass both instruments would sometimes partially mimic each other.

Just throwing out a idea.

> I can't remember the mechanism for not playing a sample until it's
> loaded, but it shouldn't be any different.

I think checking for it's size is how I do it in (scrub). That works, if
done in the right place. (sample ) is far more involved and personally I
don't see the advantages from (sample )'s involved structure in the context
of Fluxa. I think I mentioned it before but sample's structure prevents
pitch modulation of sounding notes.

> I can have a look at some optimisation - I don't think your stuff is in
> 0.18 yet, I'll try and get some time to look at all this next week - it
> would be good to have it in puredyne (so I can use it all in scheme
> bricks workshops :) ...

Yes, please. More eyes, ears and experiences is better.

I also use the experimental "(pick my_list my_clock)" so much that I'd say
it should be considered for documented inclusion. Similar tools that I'm
trying;

;like your clock switch, except for use inside of functions instead of
around them
(define (zquot clock x) (if (even? (quotient clock x)) #t #f))

;these are new and quickly made a few days ago. The idea is looped easy
modulation signals beyond the scope of single notes.
;(loop-saw clock 16) is especially cool as a modulation to a distort on a
kickdrum.
(define (loop-sin clock loop-length)
    (let ((phase (/ clock loop-length)))
        (set! phase (- phase (floor phase)))
        (+ .5 (* .5 (sin (* 2 pi phase))))))

(define (loop-cos clock loop-length)
    (let ((phase (/ clock loop-length)))
        (set! phase (- phase (floor phase)))
        (+ .5 (* .5 (cos (* 2 pi phase))))))

(define (loop-revsaw clock loop-length)
    (let ((phase (/ clock loop-length)))
        (- phase (floor phase))))

(define (loop-saw clock loop-length)
    (let ((phase (/ clock loop-length)))
        (- 1 (- phase (floor phase)))))

See what you like.

I got some very good feedback on last night's performance playing both audio
and visuals, BTW. The concept seems sound even with little time to really
practice and images that I was not entirely pleased with. I'll be thinking
more about animating from within (seq ), as that's a concept that I think
holds more promise but there are some difficulties, as I noted before.