[Fluxus] fluxa reversed samples and related matters

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri May 27 13:18:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 12:20 +0200, Kassen wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> Right now in the redacted branch and perhaps in fluxa, if these were
> merged yet, there is a bug with (sample ). I changed that node to
> playback in reverse when the frequency is negative. That's a good
> feature, but now it has two issues. Once the node is set to play in
> reverse it will keep doing so even when it's recycled. This leads to
> interesting "non determinism" but clearly that's wrong.

I quite like the sound of this.

>  Worse is that if a sample is still loading while this happens Fluxa
> will crash.

I can't remember the mechanism for not playing a sample until it's
loaded, but it shouldn't be any different.

> I can fix it, I already had to deal with a related matter for (scrub )
> and hope to do so this weekend. This is more of a warning that right
> now this is unsafe. Use (scrub ) with a (ramp ) for your
> sample-reversing needs.
>

> Other changes I plan to make;
>

> (xfade ) when only fed floats should return a float, not a node, this
> should speed things up and relieve some strain on the "node-pool"
>

> (kas-filter ) is by far the most expensive node, cpu-wise. This is
> partially a result of extra care in sound quality (with input
> interpolation) but part of the blame is likely in calculating a
> cosine, which could be done with a table.

I can have a look at some optimisation - I don't think your stuff is in
0.18 yet, I'll try and get some time to look at all this next week - it
would be good to have it in puredyne (so I can use it all in scheme
bricks workshops :) ...