[Fluxus] couple of editor fixes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:25:02 PDT 2011

Evan;

Ideally, I'd like to see a text editor where you could deal with code on a
> very granular level - individual characters, then words, then functions and
> definitions, etc.  I'd like to see some visual organization based on that,
> such as indenting-as-you-type, coloring (and italics, bold, etc) and some
> design rules that define how text wraps on the screen.  even better, how
> about coding in differetn shapes? Instead of a grid, you could code in an
> endless spiral, like zooming in and out of a black hole.  Or in a
> reactangular maze, where your code followed some space-filling algorithm.
>  Really, anything that isn't just left-to-right lines of text on a
> rectangular screen.  Defining images as function, and combining them
> visually? (Now we're into scheme blocks territory).

This might not be that hard. We already need a function that takes a string
(which represents the contents of the buffer) and maps that to a way of
displaying these characters. We already have that in Fluxus and so does that
proof of concept that I did (these just create a new line at every [enter]
and set a scale but still). The one thing we'd need for your plan here is a
way to replace that function by a new one, which seems very much in tune
with the rest of Racket where you can do similar things with error handlers
and the like. The relevant function would have to be called every time the
text changes (and perhaps also when we manually do so, for example to have
it all react to music). This sounds quite realistic to me. It also sounds
like the kind of thing that will lead to large amounts of foot-shooting but
so far we have been very supportive of that already. This would also lead to
user-definable syntax highlighting and so on. To me this makes sense.