[Fluxus] couple of editor fixes

evan.raskob [lists] lists at lowfrequency.org
Mon May 2 14:52:47 PDT 2011

Hi gang,

I vote for a brainstorming session sometime this summer - re-writing vi or emacs would be a pain, but I suppose we need to think about that #1 point, and what should be different.  Images? Bricks? I suppose we still need text underneath it all, though it would be cool if we didn't.

Ideally, I'd like to see a text editor where you could deal with code on a very granular level - individual characters, then words, then functions and definitions, etc.  I'd like to see some visual organization based on that, such as indenting-as-you-type, coloring (and italics, bold, etc) and some design rules that define how text wraps on the screen.  even better, how about coding in differetn shapes? Instead of a grid, you could code in an endless spiral, like zooming in and out of a black hole.  Or in a reactangular maze, where your code followed some space-filling algorithm.  Really, anything that isn't just left-to-right lines of text on a rectangular screen.  Defining images as function, and combining them visually? (Now we're into scheme blocks territory).

I was recently at the Electronic Literature conference in Naples earlier this year (http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/ole-officina-di-letteratura-elettronica-lavori-del-convegno-napoli-gennaio-2011), and one of the talks was on code and how its form cold be manipulated to be more relevant to its function.  In fact, I was surprised there aren't more livecoders there (a few of them are from Finland - Jyväskylä to be precise - http://elmcip.net/people).  Looks like we just missed the deadline for the next conference, but something to think about...

Best,
Evan