[Fluxus] load-primitive vs recalc-normals

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:52:41 PDT 2011

On 4 May 2011 20:24, David Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:

> Hi Kassen,
>
> The OBJ model format is indexed, so when you save a primitive and load
> it back in it converts it to indexed mode. It's not really possible (or
> quite "non-trivial") to convert them back into straight arrays again.

Ah! that explains things.

> Once you have an indexed mode primitive it becomes ambiguous how to
> smooth normals, as they may be shared by many different faces.
>
> Sorry if this is a bad explanation, will try better if needed.

No, I get it. Thanks.

So, in practice this probably means that I can't have smooth looking objects
that I load from file, right? Then this will in turn lead to a need for some
sort of (more) efficient generating of shapes. Maybe I should build a small
"library" behind the camera and use draw-instance on those; that would
probably also suit my needs.

Thanks,