[Fluxus] fluxa s&h and t&h

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 06:31:18 PDT 2011

Dear list,

I pushed in two new Fluxa nodes based on classical synth modules;

(s&h signal cv)

A "Sample&Hold"; samples the input signal at positive zero crossings of the
cv input, then holds it until the next such crossing. The canonical usage of
this is to use it with a noise signal and periodic CV, then use the result
to control a sinewave's pitch. This gives the typical sound of computers in
sci-fi movies so that's what the included example does. Also good for
digitising effects and lots of other stuff.

(t&h signal cv)
A "Track&Hold". Like a Sample&Hold, except for positive CV values it
"tracks" the input then holds it when CV is negative. Useful for the same
kind of thing that s&h is good for and nice for noisy textures.

These come with help index entries and I made sure all inputs also take
floats in addition to nodes. Usage with floats will likely be very rare but
it might be useful for debuging some more complex synth patch. Oh, and I
tested it all and they seem quite ok, so far.

There is some overlap in functionality between "s&h" and "crush". However,
crush expresses "freq" in (apparently) fractions of a sample instead of Hz.
I'm not sure about that bit, but I suspect "crush" can get stuck for high
"freq" parameters. It may need some protection against that. Anyway; I think
they can live next to each other for subtly different applications.