[Fluxus] Fluxa & sync

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:28:46 PDT 2011

> It's proprietary slub technology.

:-)

> No it's here:
> https://gitorious.org/flotsam/flotsam/trees/master/livenoisetools/syncup
> It's quite simple, but still needs explanation - if you want to use it.

Depends. If it would allow me to sync Fluxa to PD with relative ease then
yes; I probably would.

> You got to the core of the problem with time in fluxus - it needs to be
> sorted out (from spawn-timed-task to fluxa, frisbee and beyond) there
> are lots of experimental approaches and they desperately need reining
> in. The thing could well be the driver of this would be adding netclock
> support.

Yes, I noticed some weirdness. At least spawn-timed-task conforms to Fluxa's
perspective on time so that makes things a bit easier. I don't see the
difference between "time" and "time-now" being a huge issue here, I'm more
concerned with the relatively low resolution of basing such things on the
fps and the lack of time-stamps in the midi clock. I think that the amount
of jitter I'd get if I wanted to calculate the timing of the next few Fluxa
clock pulses based on our midi clock from within every-frame would be a
issue.

Could you give me a explanation on syncup, assuming we could make it slave
Fluxus&Fluxa to PD? The other way around isn't a real option as clock jitter
would cause glitches in Rob's looped-buffer playback.

Thanks.