[Fluxus] texture types (was Re: png diagonal oddness)

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sat Jan 22 02:15:08 PST 2011

Hi Kassen,

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 18:46 +0100, Kassen wrote:
> Also, to summarise;
> *POT textures are preferred for performance (probably with alpha?)

Not true, by default (load-texture) converts your texture - whatever the
size - to POT internally when it's loaded. Actually - many POT textures,
one for each mip level.

This conversion and mip generation costs something, but only at load
time.

You should be able to use any old size of texture if you are using the
default load-texture.

> *NPOT textures will work as long as they have a alpha channel.

Currently no textures will work properly in fluxus unless they have an
alpha channel. Size is not an issue.

> *NPOT textures without alpha should work as long as their dimensions
> are integer powers of 4.

This is a side effect of 3 bytes being interpreted as 4 bytes, or more
probably the bug the Claude expanded on - I need to have a look at this
to enable textures without alpha (of any size) to be used.