[Fluxus] texture types (was Re: png diagonal oddness)

gabor papp gabor.lists at mndl.hu
Wed Jan 19 22:42:22 PST 2011

> Quickly:
>
> - non power of 2 (NPOT) textures are available through an ARB extension
> which is not supported by ATI/AMD
>
> - there may be a performance hit if you use NPOT textures
>

> Don't! :)
that's unfortunate. although according to the opengl wiki
(http://www.opengl.org/wiki/NPOT_Texture), opengl 2.0 requires npot
textures, and all newer hardware can handle them perfectly.

pot textures are really cumbersome sometimes, for storing video images
for example. what do you think about arb_texture_rectangle? it also has
some difficulties, for example the non normalized texture coordinates.
what's more, now additional fluxus modules just return opengl texture
handles, because we use texture_2d only. rectangle textures have to be
handled differently, so it would be required that we pass the texture
type also, which would need the rewrite of the texture handling of fluxus.

best,