[Fluxus] advise on auto-start

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:42:56 PST 2011

> Dave;
>

> In my experience, they will just turn it on and off at the plug anyway
> whatever you say. I haven't tried this, but in theory you could map a
> key-press to (exit) and call halt at the end of the script (but that
> would mean fluxus can't run in a loop).

Check. Well, no big loss if the drive fails; it comes from my pile of spare
drives and I found ext4 quite resistant against stuck computers and
emergency reboots.

> However - in the dangerous cutting edge world of fine art galleries
> "video art" is still extremely futuristic and controversial, "computers"
> hardly even exist and are never to be touched for fear of viruses.
>
> Oops ;)

Fortunately these people are our friends. As there is (nearly) 0 budget for
this place and not all that much audience for the truly new and experimental
they/we can afford to do essentially anything, stylistically. They do video
art too, just on Macs and hackintoshes and I don't think it's a good idea to
burden them with all sorts of arcane commands.

Of course it's new and futuristic, if it'd been done before we could just
sleep in, then have beers ;¬)

> Make sure you get them to take lots of pictures and video of the public
> playing your game (or to be on the safe side do it yourself). I only say
> this because I always forget due to being too worried about the tech
> details.

These days we have a "Paul". Paul is a god-send as he is experimenting with
video editing and so needs interesting things to film, then edit, then post.
This is by far the best project-documentation I've ever had, the same
probably goes for Rob. I strongly suggest all list members find somebody who
is learning about filming and editing. Really; that kind of deal is win-win
for all involved

> And last but not least - well done!!!
>
> Thanks!

After this round I think I'll call the game "done" for a bit and start
something new. I want to try the AR stuff. Maybe with more cpu power it'd be
nice to add a generative soundtrack, based on the game state, who is
winning, the curve of projectiles, etc. That might be fun.