[Fluxus] advise on auto-start

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Jan 13 12:22:57 PST 2011

Hi all,

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:11 -0800, RPD wrote:
> On Thu, 1/13/11, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, what I'm looking for is a very minimal desktop manager that I can
> > simply give a "click me" icon or perhaps a way to simply start into Fluxus
> > with no desktop and no window manager, no settings and nothing to go wrong.
>
> I'm not an Ubuntu user but the net suggests that you have GDM and an option
> called "Run Xclient Script" in the Sessions menu. You can choose that and
> create a file called .Xclients in the home directory, containing
> something like:
>
> while true; do fluxus -fs -x my_stuff.scm; done
>
> and chmod +x it... then there will be no icons, no windows, nothing but
> fluxus, always coming back if it crashes. Dave may have done this with a
> livecd already, but I forget so I tried it here (also using GDM) and it
> did the trick.

I do it with auto login and .xprofile, and it loads fluxus before the
window manager.

The "while true" isn't something I've tried as I am egotistical enough
to think that fluxus will not crash, but it's probably to be
recommended.

!Remember to turn *both* kinds of screen blanking off!

All this is all documented here:
http://www.pawfal.org/dave/blog/2010/10/al-jazari-bootable-usb-version/

Using a usb key to do this doesn't seem a good idea, after a couple of
weeks of being turned on and off at the power switch in the gallery in
Eindhoven (see link above) it got corrupted. I think there are ways to
fix even this by making the partitions read only, but harddrive install
seems more stable.

Al Jazari was running in fluxus in the Alhambra in Granada for 3 months
like this with no problems.