[Fluxus] Fluxa notes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:22:46 PST 2011

Dear List,

Last night I finally got to try out (kp) (sounds great, invites polyphonic
usage, will go into nice organ-like drones too) and (klip ) (really cool
with sine modulation). Thanks, Dave, those are great.

(distort ) still seems broken. As they are similar this is quite likely the
same issue that (klip ) had.

There's also a suggestion that I have; We have samples and Racket is very
good at recursion. So; we could try our hand at breakbeat cutting (see the
whole series of Nick Collins's papers on the subject). The one thing we are
missing is the ability to play samples with a initial offset for the
playback position and probably a set endpoint. This either means a new node
type or optional arguments to the current sample player. Not current node
types (that I can remember) had optional arguments though. We probably need
that to be a option as the math nodes (especially summing as that means
mixing here) would become a lot more useful with that as a option.

Is anyone else interested in this kind of thing? If not I'll probably try it
myself anyway because I have a suspicion that it'd fit and would work nicely
as a way of working with Fluxa's scheduling of notes as well as line up with
Fluxa's tendency towards poly-metric acid. In practice this may also need
the ability to poll samples for their length, a ability that seems analogue
to polling textures for their size.