[Fluxus] couple of editor fixes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:49:02 PDT 2011

Dave;

> Sorry I should have posted more info - this is how I debug fluxus for
> memory leaks, but it should also detect buffer overruns etc:
>
> valgrind --vex-iropt-precise-memory-exns=yes --leak-check=full
> --show-reachable=yes --error-limit=no fluxus

Thanks, that worked a lot better. I'm happy to report that once it was up
and running and I was testing the new and tweaked scratchpad functionality I
couldn't get valgrind to report memory errors on any of the permutations I
tried. I especially tested various ways of deleting, cutting and
"over-pasting" expressions and parts of text as those seemed most likely to
cause issues.

It's not perfect though; I was getting a few uses of uninitiated values of
size 4, something that we have a LOT of, according to Valgrind, and nearly
all of them somehow involve "scheme_do_eval". I got those notices at simple
cursor movements, not as any of the tested commands (I'm not sure why cursor
movements would need scheme evaluation with the current setup). I also noted
that there is still a little bug in that pasting will move the cursor yet
won't updated the "desired x position" which leads to counter-intuitive x
positions of the cursor when moving up or down after pasting (and probably
cutting as well). I also noticed that [ctrl+a] would sometimes not select
all text doing things like taking the cursor or the end of a different line
as the end point of the selection. That behaviour was non-deterministic as
far as I could tell and I was unable to repeat those findings outside of
Valgrind. I'm slightly annoyed by that.

So yes, it's not perfect but it doesn't seem to leak memory either which I
suppose is the good news. Next I'm going to try to find all indirect causes
of cursor movement and see whether those need to set a new "desired x
position". That should be a improvement and I think that only means writing
to a single variable so it shouldn't further complicate the issue.