[Fluxus] Fluxa notes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 05:43:10 PDT 2011

Hey Dave,

I'd like to talk for a moment about the Fluxa samples stuff. The "sampler"
node has a "poly" setting which deals with polyphonic playback of samples.
Particularly it cuts off playback of the sample when a new voice is started.
However, as far as I can see each SampleNode has its own Sampler and is
itself monophonic. Thus I fail to see under what kind of conditions this
code (which does seem to complicate things considerably) would become
relevant.

I could see this being part of a future plan for polyphonic sample playback
(maybe chords) in which case it's cool, or it could be a trace of
SpiralSynth in which case it might be a candidate for taking it out?
Personally I don't (currently) see how Fluxa's architecture would benefit
from polyphony in this form as we are already cashing the samples
themselves.