[Fluxus] rfc: (draw-line)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 14:47:07 PDT 2010

Hey Gabor,

most probably yes. you ignore the depth-buffer when drawing the text, but
then the primitives are rendered in display order, which means that drawn
primitives will cover all previously built ones.

> i don't think it would help. depth sorting applies only to built primitives
> as far as i know, and drawn primitives are displayed in the next pass.

Ok, but then we may have a issue in the long term.

I think it's clear that eventually the editor text will need to be done form
within Scheme and in the scene-graph. As we talked about before that would
allow for lots of fun trickery as well as more constructive things like
user-define syntax highlighting and so on.

As things stand that would conflict with using such a editor to draw any
non-trivial amount of things.

It seems to me that there are some rather big questions here. In some sense
we'd like that kind of text to be a exception in that we'd like it to be on
top all the time regardless of what else is going one, on the other hand I
would really like to be able to use the general Fluxus syntax to use rotate,
scale, colour and so on on the text. I think that having (blur) affect the
editor text taught us that we are all very much in favour of the option of
performatively shooting our own feet.

I have no solutions, right now, but I do think that this is a issue that
will need some care in the long term.