[Fluxus] scs3?

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Nov 16 23:48:06 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:34 +0100, Kassen wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I've been quite interested in this thing called "scs3" which is a
> Scheme interface to SuperCollider.
> It uses PLT-Scheme and OSC so we've got that covered. It also does
> some thing (apparently involving timing) in compiled Scheme for which
> it uses something called Ikarus. That bit doesn't look too involved.

Ikarus is a fast scheme compiler. The fact that it works on both plt
scheme and ikarus is a good sign, as it means the scheme will be pretty
standard.

> However, the sparse docs there
> ( http://www.slavepianos.org/rd/sw/rsc3/ ) only explain how to set
> this up for Emacs. None of the doc nor the code (as far as I can see)
> explains much about the structure of the whole setup which makes it a
> bit hard for me to tell where to start getting this to work. So....
> I'm hoping somebody might already have done this; it does sound like
> something that could make sense.

I've never tried this but always meant to. My impression is that Rohan
has since moved on to a haskell version, so I'm not sure how maintained
it is, but it seemed pretty complete when I last looked at it.

> Has anyone tried getting this to run in/with Fluxus? This idea also
> sounds very close to what Fluxa does (more or less identical, in fact)
> does that indicate that interfacing the SC3 synth engine would be a
> worse idea that using Fluxa for some reason or in some specific
> context?

I would always recommend using sc3 rather than fluxa. Fluxa does things
in an fairly crazy way to allow very functional approach to synth graph
building. It's also a minimal approach to synthesis - with a contrained
set of ugens (although I added karplus strong yesterday - wooo :). So if
you are wanting something to use for "production" then go with sc3, if
you are happy with more experimental things then you might be happy with
fluxa.