[Fluxus] commits: icosphere

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 03:41:47 PDT 2010

Claude  wrote:

(What follows is a bit off-topic, sorry..)

Looks completely topical to me, really.

> Good question, and the answer (perhaps surprisingly) is yes.

I'm not that surprised, I imagine that if we *couldn't* then we wouldn't be
sure we knew about all of the platonic ones, for example.... but maybe I'm
taking shortcuts now. Of course nothing guarantees that it would be easy :-)

> If you're interested in this kind of stuff, the book "Regular Polytopes" by
> HSM Coxeter is the one to get - it's got a *lot* of information in it, and
> not too pricy.

Sounds good!

> I have some Haskell code that follows Coxeter's equations for 3D and 4D,
> but it's quite a long process:
> 1. Essentially in 3D you give the Schlaefli symbol {p,q} which means there
> are q p-gons around each vertex (so {4,3} is a cube).

Got it.

2. From that you calculate a fundamental (spherical) triangle

Just to be clear; this is a triangle projected on a sphere, with all three
points at a given distance from what will be the origin of the shape?

> 3. Then the whole symmetry group follows by reflections

Check, because we know all vertices and/or edges to be the same for the
regular shapes, right?

> 4. Then you can pick a starting point inside the fundamental triangle

5. Then apply each of the group actions (as matrices)

You lost me at "group actions". Is that like the kind of operation where we
take a cube and make each face move away from the origin, then put a quad to
join it where edges were and triangles where there was a single vertex?

> And you end up with a sort of truncated regular polyhedron, depending where
> the point you picked is.
>
> Points 1-3 can be done once for all time, the symmetry group never changes
> and there are a finite number of "interesting" groups.

Check.

> Some older info (need to update with newer info...):
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/cm/2009-10-15_reflex_preview.html
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/g/reflex/

And good pictures too!

When I have some spare time I'm going to try playing with this kind of
thing. I wonder to what degree we can say something sensible about
the symmetry in relation to pdata indices. That would be quite nice for
transformations... I quite liked the effect of stacking the different
iterations of Gabor's sphere.

Thanks for your explanation,