[Fluxus] commits + recalc-normals bug

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sun Jan 17 11:46:23 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 17:48 +0100, gabor papp wrote:
> > I just 'fixed' this. The behaviour of sharp or smooth normals for
> > indexed poly prims is implicitly determined by the indexing.
> great, thanks. on the other hand, it seems that obj files have sharp
> face normals instead of smoother vertex normals. so the new way how
> (recalc-normals 1) works with obj files, won't help.

Well the initial sharp/smoothness of models from obj should be defined
entirely by the modelling package.

If you run recalc-normals on an model from obj - it should blend normals
on shared vertices and generate separate normals for non-shared
coincident vertices. So this is determined by how the modeller has
exported the geometry I think.

I'm guessing this index unification stuff that we've been talking about
due to loading speed is also causing problems here though - eg. by
creating extra normals or vertex positions....