[Fluxus] "intelligent" modelling

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Feb 5 12:03:09 PST 2010

Hi Kassen,

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 18:36 +0100, Kassen wrote:

> I've been wondering whether what I was doing (building a naive
> village) made any sense at all. Of course anything that makes us smile
> has a use there and I've been trying to challenge myself to teach
> myself Scheme, but I couldn't escape the feeling that one could do
> most of the end result in Blender in less time. Now I have a exception
> to that. The problem was "fields". Fields here are any area contained
> by a fence and the problem was where to place fence-posts for
> (rectangular) fields of arbitrary sizes. The code I'm posting below is
> really rather simple from a scheming perspective, but I'm very happy
> with it as a take on 3d modelling where the computer gets to do all of
> the boring stuff, so I thought I'd share. It holds up for fields where
> one dimension is 0, fields with negative sizes make it muck up, but
> that should be ok.

That is very nice. It's called procedural modelling - and I suppose it
is what fluxus is naturally good for. It also good with livecoding, as
it's a great 'amplifier' for your creative ideas.

I believe in Pixar's movie "Bug's life" they had such large sets they
had to procedurally generate most of it. I can't find any references to
this online, but the story I heard was that after they'd written the
code to generate the world, they then hunted around in it for good
places to shoot the movie in!