[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Greg gowiththeflow at free.fr
Thu Dec 9 04:07:13 PST 2010

On 09/12/2010 12:55, Kassen wrote:

>             i mean we hardcode magic numbers that 24 pulses are 1 beat
>

>     That's safe, I think. The internal resolution of devices may of
>     course be higher, and often is. 96 pulses per quarter note isn't
>     uncommon.
>

> Let me clarify this a bit more; it's 24 pulses per quarter note, not
> per "beat". How this is interpreted is up to the composer and the
> listener. MIDI lacks a way to convey either of the numbers in a normal
> time-signature indication and only conveys the passing of time
> relative to quarter notes (or sixteenth, or....).
>
> Higher level information needs to be agreed on by all participants by
> (gasp :¬) ) actually talking with each other and entered manually into
> all devices. Most of the time this poses no issues because the devices
> will still be set to the exact settings that Greg assumed and 4/4 at
> 100 to 200 bpm is lots of fun. These would be good defaults, but
> waltzing and 5/8 can be great fun as well.
>
> Kas.
As fluxus is quite tied to the "experimental" scene, I guess I'll have
to address this...

I've found this: http://ogloton.free.fr/midi/messages_systeme.html
It seems "time signature" and "bar marker" messages exist... I have to
understand what they do exactly ^^ and I'll come back with a proposal
for new functions!

--
     G.