[Fluxus] recursive state - am I doing this right?

evan.raskob [lists] lists at lowfrequency.org
Mon Sep 28 07:15:49 PDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 8:49 AM, Dave Griffiths wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 19:11 +0100, evan.raskob [lists] wrote:
>> drawing recursive trees.
>> something is funky.
>> not translating the proper amount that I'd like each iteration. maybe
>> i'm not parenting properly, or the (scale) function isn't affecting
>> the translation properly?
>
> Could you expand on this? It can help to use (hint-origin) to
> visualise
> the local transformation of the primitives - the axes give you an
> indication of what calling translate will do (the direction of
> x,y,z and
> the amount it will move due to scaling).

I think I see one of the problems - I didn't need to iterate through
the children when rotating branches because I was using parenting and
keeping a list of parent objects.  If I iterated through all the
children I was rotating both parents and children, thus double-rotating.

The other issue has to do with the scale of the planes when their
parents are rotated. The planes I'm drawing are twice as thin than
wide, but when their parents are rotated it looks like the scale of
the plane rotates as well (gets wider in the center and the texture
expands?)  Or is this just me.  Maybe I should lay off the drugs ;)

>> i'm trying to find a good technique for livecoding a recursive
>> structure and then messing with it, using the (build-*) functions and
>> good parenting.
>
> Navigating the scenegraph with (get-children) is a good way to do
> this.
> You could also use the mouse to pick primitives with (mouse-over)
> and go
> up or down the scenegraph running various scripts on the objects.

definitely...

>> also, something very funky happening to the textures of my planes
>> when I rotate their parents.  try changing the rotation value in
>> (every-frame) to something large and you'll see.
>
> I can't get anything funky to happen - could you post a screenshot?

see above... I will try to recreate.

>> also, doing a tiled framedump creates ghost images.
>
> On the flickr pic, it looks like you might have blur active, tiled
> framedump won't work with that currently (and I'm not sure if it ever
> will, as it reuses the same render target to make each tile)

Right! Forgot about that tidbit.

> It seems to work here with your tree script as it is tho.
>
> cheers,
>
> dave

Evan Raskob
ML Studio