[Fluxus] recursive state - am I doing this right?

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Sep 28 00:49:49 PDT 2009

Hi Evan,

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 19:11 +0100, evan.raskob [lists] wrote:
> drawing recursive trees.
> something is funky.
> not translating the proper amount that I'd like each iteration. maybe
> i'm not parenting properly, or the (scale) function isn't affecting
> the translation properly?

Could you expand on this? It can help to use (hint-origin) to visualise
the local transformation of the primitives - the axes give you an
indication of what calling translate will do (the direction of x,y,z and
the amount it will move due to scaling).

> i'm trying to find a good technique for livecoding a recursive
> structure and then messing with it, using the (build-*) functions and
> good parenting.

Navigating the scenegraph with (get-children) is a good way to do this.
You could also use the mouse to pick primitives with (mouse-over) and go
up or down the scenegraph running various scripts on the objects.

> also, something very funky happening to the textures of my planes
> when I rotate their parents.  try changing the rotation value in
> (every-frame) to something large and you'll see.

I can't get anything funky to happen - could you post a screenshot?

> also, doing a tiled framedump creates ghost images.

On the flickr pic, it looks like you might have blur active, tiled
framedump won't work with that currently (and I'm not sure if it ever
will, as it reuses the same render target to make each tile)

It seems to work here with your tree script as it is tho.