[Fluxus] Two rendering windows? (+ some other questions)

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sun Sep 13 17:18:21 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 01:39 +0200, wow at tuok.de wrote:
> Hello Fluxusians,
> i am new too Fluxus and so I started to read the tutorials and to view the tutorial-videos. I like the concept very much, because it is really cool to see live the effects of your code.
>
> But i have a question concerning live performances. When i use a laptop, is it possible that the connected beamer only shows the picture without the code. (like strg+h)
> I have found no way to initialize 2 rendering windows or at least to separate the code window from the rendering window.

Running fluxus in toplap manifesto[1] incompliant mode is possible, but
takes a little bit of work - for instance you can run it in such a way
that it accepts text for evaluating via osc network messages. This way
you can drive fluxus remotely from another application (or machine).

Initialising multiple windows is something I might need to add soon.
This is already possible if you fiddle around with the DrScheme version,
but livecoding isn't as easy to do with it's IDE. In any case, this
probably isn't what you want, as it would be a waste of GPU time to use
the fluxus editor but not project it.

> The " frame dump commands" are they part of fluxus?

Yes.

> Is there are "Roadmap" for fluxus?

Not really, but asking what people are working on on this list is a good
alternative. I'm currently using fluxus to write games, so some of the
work I'm doing at the moment is getting my common game code generalised
and added to fluxus.

> And do you know similar programs?

Impromptu for scheme and livecoding if you are on the mac - it has full
OpenGL support now, but at a lower level than fluxus (you have to write
more code), but it's music api is much more developed than fluxus.
Processing is a great way to rapid prototype graphics programs, but a
bit slower than fluxus. I think Blender is interesting too - it has
python api and a game engine built in.

[1] http://www.toplap.org/index.php/ManifestoDraft