[Fluxus] treetris & game distribution

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu May 28 04:51:39 PDT 2009

Hi all,

This is the first test I've done of using fluxus for crossplatform game
distribution:

http://www.pawfal.org/bitsnbobs/treetris/treetris-linux.tar.gz
http://www.pawfal.org/bitsnbobs/treetris/treetris-windows.zip

It's not a particularly great game, but the idea is to check it
technically works. It should look and run the same in both os'es.

If you want to have a go at doing this, I used a version of fluxus built
with STATIC_EVERYTHING=1 (I plan to distribute a build like this with
each release for each platform).

The textures (and eventually models, shaders etc) are put in the
material directory alongside the executable. The game script is put in
collects (currently "lib" on windows, I'll change it to match) along
with the rest of the scheme code for fluxus.

I got it to start up by adding this line to the bottom of boot.scm:

(spawn-timed-task 0.5 (lambda () (load "collects/treetris.scm")))

The reason it's a timed task is that boot.scm has to be run before the
OpenGL state is set up, but we need to defer the running of the game
code until everything is started up - with a small delay this gets run
on the first frame or two.

We should have the same kind of thing working for OSX soon, I think the
main things needing to be done are finding out a way to get the current
working directory from an executable, so we can load stuff using
relative paths, and adjusting the static build to include the libraries
needed for that platform.