[Fluxus] HackFest, aspect ratio and ... crashes

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed May 13 08:44:57 PDT 2009

Hi Milovann,

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 17:00 +0200, Milovann Yanatchkov wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Lots of question :)
>

> -- So, 0.16 still crashing  =(
>
> -- I will do some fluxus live coding on the second
> Hacker Space Festival here in Paris in June - everybody willing to
> join me is welcome :) -- hackerspace.net --

Great!

> -- Aspect ratio : my laptop is 1449x900, wide
> format - or something.... - so when going full screen, all objects
> are deformed. Any idea how I can fix that ?

I think you can get what you want by using (reshape). Unfortunately I
appear to have broken this when using just one camera, so here's a work
around:

(clear)

; make a dummy camera
(define dummycam (build-camera))
(current-camera dummycam)
(viewport -1 0 0.1 0.1) ; and hide the output
(current-camera 0)

; set the resolution here
(reshape 1449 900)

; draw stuff...
(build-torus 1 2 10 10)

>  Plus : is it possible to
> go *full* screen without window borders ?

This depends on your window manager, but pressing ctrl-f *should* do it.
It doesn't get rid of window decorations on gnome for me, so I use
alt-F11 (which is a gnome thing I think).

> -- I was wondering : could it be interseting to have
> a special fluxus mode where you can redirect only the output and not
> the code -- sounds like anti-live-coding or hided live coding :)

You could try using drscheme to livecode fluxus - this results in
something like this, but it's not very livecode friendly.

It's also possible to send code over osc from something else, to my
knowledge this has been done with emacs and pd.

Warning: this results in a non-TOPLAP manifesto compliant livecoding
performance, which may cause fluxus to crash.

> -- concerning the crashes :
> - on both my laptop and desktop computers
> - with or without MULTEXTURING changed directly in Sconstruct :
>
> -(gdb) on both 0.15 and 0.16 (but 0.15 not crashing )
>  : lots of (strange ?) SIGSEV on several functions
> ***  AND THEN ON 0.16, entering fluxus and (build-cube) : ***

Ignoring gdb for the minute, are you saying that 0.15 is stable (when
not run through gdb), but 0.16 crashes (regardless of MULTITEXURE=0)?

If this is true, and you are running a tar.gz release version of 0.16
(rather than git), I think this is all down to the multitexturing bug,
which seems to be triggered by some nvidia cards. The good news is that
I've managed to reproduce this myself in 'laboratory conditions' - so a
fix should not be long away.

If you need 0.16 to work now, get the git version and build with
MULTITEXTURE=1.

> ********close failed: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor*************
> scons: Configure: ".sconf_temp/conftest_0" is up to date.
>
> and so on, on several files...

I think thats just a corrupted file, usually due to aborting scons at
the wrong moment - delete the .sconf_temp directory and it should go
away.