[Fluxus] Can fluxus scripts change themselve?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 02:53:42 PDT 2009

> Janosch Peters wrote:
>

> > Im writing a short text abut fluxus/Livecoding at uni. In the TOPLAP
> > Manifesto it says:
> >
> > "Programs are instruments that can change themselves"
> >
> > Can this be done in fluxus? And if yes, how?

Dave replied;

> My reading of the toplap manifesto is that this means that the performer
> changes their instrument live, but maybe that's overly conservative...

I read it to mean that the instruments could change themselves and that
while the instrument is represented and indeed created by the code that need
not mean the code changes itself as well, much like there is no need for me
to be able to change myself (in any structural way) just to be able to
re-string a guitar.

This doesn't seem to be the strongest element of the manifesto to me; I
don't think this is required, merely changing the code to change the
instrument would seem enough to me. Interestingly the manifesto explicitly
claims it's a draft and lives on a Wiki where it could be edited.