[Fluxus] Can fluxus scripts change themselve?

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Jul 20 01:10:52 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 18:23 +0000, Janosch Peters wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Im writing a short text abut fluxus/Livecoding at uni. In the TOPLAP
> Manifesto it says:
>
> "Programs are instruments that can change themselves"
>
> Can this be done in fluxus? And if yes, how?

My reading of the toplap manifesto is that this means that the performer
changes their instrument live, but maybe that's overly conservative...

So yes, you can do this in fluxus - or rather scheme, as programs are
just lists. See:
http://docs.plt-scheme.org/guide/eval.html

I also have some genetic programming code I've been wanting to get into
the fluxus codebase for a while now, which generates scheme programs for
you based on some fitness function. Let me know if you are interested...