[Fluxus] parenting and frames of reference

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 02:44:40 PDT 2009

Gabor,

i think the root of the problem is that you forgot to parent the windmill
> building. i suggest that you make a building then set it as a parent for the
> cube in the center of the blades, then you set the cube as a parent for all
> the blades. since the windmill building consists of two primitives you
> probably should parent one to the other, or you can use a locator primitive
> (build-locator). then you return the main parent object as a windmill
> object, and you transform that. all children should follow.

Ok, I see. So I understand That so far I've been able to get away with
trusting on the scope of translate and rotate operations to have multiple
objects moved but parenting is better form? This "etude" is my first run-in
with more complicated objects so such issues were bound to arise. I'll look
into (build-locator) and hope it'll enable me to keep all parts of the
windmill inside of a single block of code, stylistically that appeals to me
a lot. Then again; maybe what I'd call good form in ChucK (a lot like Java)
might not be good form in Scheme.