[Fluxus] lighting of build-polygons

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 04:30:08 PDT 2009

> hi Kassen,

Hello, Gabor,

> fluxus and opengl needs normals to calculate lighting. when you build your
> roof polygons. you also have to calculate the normals. try (recalc-normals).

Ah, that sounds simple enough.

> there's also a typo 'triangel-list instead of 'triangle-list.

Whoops, I thought I had fixed that.

> you don't really need (hint-vertcols) and pdata-set! "c" either, since all
> vertices have the same colour. you could use (colour) in the state instead,
> which is simpler.

Well, I wanted to do that because that would have saved a lot of lines but
it didn't work for me. Hopefully with the calculated normals it will work.
For a long time all of the shapes I drew were simply "black holes" where
only the outline over a coloured object would show them. (colour) wouldn't
even affect the wire-frame.

> i am experiencing a strange thing with this script. if you rotate the scene
> with the mouse, it's blinking. is it also doing this for you? it might be a
> state leaking bug somewhere.

I don't think the whole thing blinked but moving the mouse did noticeably
affect the brightness of the plane. I don't think it affected the
background. I didn't have the confidence to call that a "bug" because it was
so clear that I was already doing something wrong and I thought I might
simply be confusing the video card. If you put it like that then yes, I
would say this may benefit from a closer look.