[Fluxus] texture transparency for particles

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:21:47 PDT 2009

Dear list,

I'm having a bit of a problem with transparency in png files when used as
textures for particles. To be precise; the bits that should be transparent
look like we are looking through sunglasses with any background but the
clear-colour. Originally I suspected some sort of depth-sort issue but I now
sprinkled a lot of (hint-depth-sort) hints all over my test code and nothing
seems to help. I'd suspect I had done something wrong in the gimp, if it
weren't for how the clear-colour background interacts with these like I
would expect it to and most of the time they seem fine amongst each other.

Are there any known factors that would cause this?

Another thing that has me wondering is depth-sort. When should this be
called? Is it merely the scope of the statement that matters or does it also
matter when it is called relative to the moment when objects get
defined/placed/moved? It seems to me like using a scale vector (with
non-equal elements) on a skinned particles object will muck with the
depth-sort between the particles. Can this be prevented?