[Fluxus] Noob audio connection question

Glauber Alex Dias Prado smade4 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 07:11:54 PDT 2009

Matt Jadud <jadudm at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I offered to my students the opportunity to do something creative for
> their final projects this semester. One of them wanted to do some
> livecoding in Fluxus. This is awesome.
>
> Our sysadmin got 0.14 installed against PLT 372 using Redhat RPMs.
> Hopefully, that's "stable enough" for experimentation. (Also, it's
> what is now installed, because it was easiest and quickest. I'm not
> going to complain on that count at all.)

If you plan on audio synthesis 0.14 isnt the best bet as fluxa wasnt
available so if this is a requirement its best to upgrade.

> The lame part is me not knowing where to start, because I've never sat
> down and done any serious playing with Fluxus. Now, I suppose, I'll
> learn. :) I got Fluxus up, and drew a cube---that was awesome, and I'd
> be ready to quit there under normal circumstances, but figure I should
> do better. The thing that I really got stuck on was audio: how should
> my student plug audio into Fluxus so that Cool Stuff can happen?
> Having an audio even stream to tap into seems like a good first step
> in doing some awesomeness with Fluxus.
>
> It looks like jackd has been installed, and I can only start it with
> the ALSA driver. (Currently, there isn't any support for any other
> driver.) I have a few audio players on the system, and they seem to be
> able to output to a variety of things; in particular, the GPlayer (I
> think that is what it was called) can output to either "jack" or
> "alsa", but... I've never played in this space with Linux before, so
> I'm not sure what I should do to make the bits plug together.
>
> Is there a manual page somewhere that I can RTFM, or does the list
> mind if I ask a sequence of questions here to get things up and
> running? We're running RH9 (I'm pretty sure... need to double-check),

Although there isnt a manual with this specific subject inside fluxus, if
you search the mailing list archives there is a lot of info on this
subject, otherwise if you run into specifics trouble we are here to
help.  This guide can be elucidative as i was searching for something to
point you to:
http://adrjork.altervista.org/linuxtricks/JackTutorial_64studio.pdf