[Fluxus] physics damping

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Sun Apr 5 13:38:33 PDT 2009

gabor papp said:
> i'm trying to build a tendril object using the physics system.
> source code is attached. it's built up using a couple of cubes
> joined together with ball joints, the top is fixed. when i give
> it a kick, i kick one of the cubes, which makes the whole tendril
> move. i would like the motion to damp very rapidly. when it gets
> a kick it moves, but after a second it should stand still again.
> i can't seem to achieve this. any help would be appreciated
>          (set! parts (cons obj parts)))))

I couldn't get this to run, is there an extra close parenthesis
on the set! statement?

Usually with ODE the way you accomplish damping is by using a
motor joint.  Each sim loop you query the joint velocity and
apply a torque in the opposite direction, scalor multiply the
velocity vector by a (negative) damping constant to create
the torque vector.  I don't see in the documentation how to
read the joint velocity in fluxus.

I have used pyODE, check out the AMotor getAngleRate API:
http://pyode.sourceforge.net/api-1.2.0/public/ode.AMotor-class.html

One of my interest in fluxus is to make an animusic like sim:
www.animusic.com/dvd-info-clips-1.html

Thanks, Jeff Sandys