[Fluxus] Fluxus 0.14 on Ubuntu 8.04

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu May 1 08:56:10 PDT 2008

Hi Gerry,

> Has anyone else tested this yet? Aside from Artem's debs not working in
> it, I've been getting some weird stuff happening. Had my first segfault in
> ages (although that bit of scheme was crap, in honesty),

Scheme code should never (ever) cause a segfault - please send any scripts
which do this (that goes to you all btw :)

> and I'm getting weird graphical glitches: I'm getting arbitrarily coloured
> lines from the zero point radiating out 'towards' me.
> Just re-read that, and realised how little sense it makes. Bascally, it's
> like aiming a cylinder of infinite length away from you, and looking down
> it; not much better as explanations go, but I'm hoping it'll help.
> Fluxus had some trouble dealing with the new version of glew when I tried
> installing the debs that artem provided, so could there be some weird and
> wonderul change in glew 1.5?
>
> I've just had another look at that graphics glitch. I tihnk it may have
> something to do with setting clear-colour to respond to gh. How exactly
> does clear-colour change the background colour? The convergence points of
> those lines seems to hit the centre of the clear-colour refresh pattern:
> the way that this is presenting is like it's using several polygons as a
> background, and is altering the colour of each of them simultaneously.

Clear colour just sets the colour for OpenGL to clear the buffer - how it
actually does this is down to your driver (my classic excuse). I know that
changing this when blur is on can result in some funky stuff due to how
I've written the blur, but probably not much like the artifacts your
seeing.

Do you get this when you first launch fluxus? If not, does it happen after
running (build-cube)?

Could you send the script for me to have a go with?

> Having seen all that, would it be worth just getting 0.15, instead?

Nope - not yet.