[Fluxus] Getting sound

troels knak-nielsen troelskn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:02:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM, krgn <k.gebbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> the jack audio connection kit is indeed a little and efficient daemon to
> route audio back and forth between applications that can handle it. some
> more info on it here: http://jackaudio.org/
>
> I recommend to install a little program called 'qjackctl', a frontend to the
> daemon that lets you configure it, and gives you a graphical patchbay to
> make new connections between applications.

Thanks or the quick reply. I tried "qjackctl", but frankly it left me
quite confused. I don't know what the difference between "connect" and
"patchbay" are. Or what to do with them?

> btw: you will get much better audio results with jack if you run it realtime
> mode (with the -R switch in CLI, or the realtime button in qjackctl). on
> most systems that entails editing /etc/security/limits.conf and adding:
> @audio     -    rtprio 90
> @audio     -    nice    -15
> @audio     -    memlock 10000000

I already adjusted my limits.conf earlier and the numbers were quite
close to your suggestions. I tried editing it nonetheless.

When I run jackd with the following line, I still get a clicking sound
for each update:

$ jackd --realtime -d alsa --rate 41000 --period 1024

If I lower the value for --period, I get more frequent clicking. I
suppose that is a hint to what is wrong?

Another thing, that may be related (Or not). I tried running jackd
with this line:

$ jackd --realtime --port-max 2 --no-mlock -d alsa --rate 48000 --period 1024

Which give the following output:

jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
all 32 bit float mono audio port buffers in use!
cannot assign buffer for port
cannot deliver port registration request
ALSA: cannot register port for capture_2
no ports available!
cannot deliver port registration request
ALSA: cannot register port for playback_2

I wonder if the "cannot assign buffer for port" thing is important?

One more thing, I didn't mention; I'm running on 64bit.

--
troels