[Fluxus] extending the editor

Jeff Rose rosejn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 08:05:00 PDT 2008

Hi,
   I've been working a bit on beefing up my live-coding chops using
various livenoisetools and fluxus.  Great stuff and lots of fun.  I have
to admit though, that the editor frustrates me often.  I'm a vim hacker,
and I feel crippled without having mechanisms to move around the code in
terms of s-expressions, search and replace with regexps etc.  So my
first question is, what's the easiest way to use an external editor with
fluxus?

The editor is very cool in other respects though, so in the long run I'd
like to stay inside the fluxus editor rather than just code in vim and
send it over.  So, I wanted to throw an idea/proposal out there.  How
about taking the keyboard (and maybe also mouse) input from glut and
sending it to a scheme instance that manages the editor?  (Not sure if
it should be the same one as is used for graphics or not...)  In a
weekend we could setup a simple command scheme that lets us start
building up a library of editor functions that can be mapped to sets of
key-commands.  I guess it's a new-school, live-coding emacs.  (Maybe
humorous from a vimmer...)  I also think it would be really cool to map
commands to keys on the fly.  If using vim like modes, this could add a
   new dimension to live coding...

   How does this sound?  The only part I don't know about yet is how to
connect up C++ functions to scheme, but I imagine you can either use
their FFI or C interface.  Any interest?  Does this sound cool to the
powers at be?

-Jeff