[Fluxus] Instructions on installing Fluxus in Ubuntu 7.10

Gerry Grainger nowhere.elysium at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 06:04:18 PDT 2007

This is the quickest way I could come up with for install Fluxus on an
Ubuntu system. The one significant caveat is that this was done on 7.10 -
for 7.04 and earlier (as well as Debian proper) the version numbers will be
different, so it's worth using Synaptic to track down the most recent
versions of the programs that I've listed here, instead of just hammering it
all into Aptitude.
Also, when using this method in older versions of Ubuntu, and in Debian, I
noticed that there were sometimes errors saying that
libmzscheme3m.so.0couldn't be found: it's in /usr/lib/ instead of
/usr/local/lib. Just cp it
across.
With the method I've listed here, I hope to make new users a bit more
comfortable with general use of the command line: listing things such as
autocomplete will be something that they'll most likely remember, and
consider to be a friendly feature, thus making people realise that the
command line's not as evil as all that, I hope :)
This was done on a machine built on:
AMD64X2 4600+
2GB RAM
ATi X600 256MB
All of this is hardware that Ubuntu picks up first time: debian has some
small gripes with it, and some funny things to say about the Audigy
soundcard I've got in here. No Idea why. As such, I installed Ubuntu
7.10today, and installed Fluxus straight after running a dist-upgrade.
To the patented Gerry Grainger method of Fluxus installation, then!

Firstly, install your graphics card driver: mine's ATi, so let the
restricted drivers application do its thing - it'll install everything you
need.
Open the terminal window, and type (or copy and paste) in:

sudo aptitude install build-essential scons fftw3-dev
libglew1.4-devfreeglut3-dev liblo0-dev libsndfile1-dev libtiff4-dev
libpng12-dev
libjack0.100.0-dev qjackctl libfreetype6-dev libxaw7-dev libode0-dev

Let it do its thing. It'll ask you for your password: that's normal
behaviour – enter it, and then press Y when it asks you if it's ok to
install everything.
Now, type in the following: a line break indicates pressing Enter, and [Tab]
means that you should press the Tab key to autocomplete. To follow this
trend, anything in square brackets indicates a special keypress, such as
Control being [Ctrl].

mkdir ~/Source
cd ~/Sou[Tab]
wget http://pawfal.org/fluxus/files/fluxus-0.13rc2.tar.gz
wget http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/files/plt-369.10-src-unix.tgz
tar -xvzf flu[Tab]
tar -xvzf plt[Tab]
cd plt[Tab]src
./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/usr/local
make
sudo make install
cd ~/Sou[Tab]flu[Tab]
scons
sudo scons install
cd ~
nano .fluxus.scm
(start-audio "alsa_pcm:capture_1" 1024 44100)
[Ctrl+x]
fluxus

Job's a Good'un :)