[fluxus] Dual-core question

dave dave at pawfal.org
Sun Jul 8 15:48:20 PDT 2007

Hi Gerry,

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 23:54 -0300, Glauber Prado wrote:
> Gerry Grainger wrote:
> > Hello again. Sorry - you're probably getting sick of the sound of me
> > by now, but I have a quick question: is there a way of optimising
> > fluxus to take advantage of dual-core systems? I'm running the most
> > processor-intensive scripts I can think of, and they only seem to use
> > one core.
> > Just wondering, is all.
> > Gerry.
> Hi you are welcome, this is a question that Dave will have a better
> answer i didnt saw any signals about parallelization yet in fluxus,
> perhaps is something to think about.

There isn't support for multithreaded processing in code yet - but one
of the purposes of developing the recent 'pfunc' feature (in CVS atm) is
to design in a way to do primitive processing in parallel. This will be
possible once we have suitable scheduling in the engine, and would
enable (for example) skinning of multiple meshes simultaneously on
seperate threads.

Confusingly there are 'threads' in mzscheme, but these are not real
hardware threads - maybe still fun to play with though for some
concurrent programming experiments.