[fluxus] 0.12b1 + cvs merge

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Jan 11 01:40:25 PST 2007

> dave wrote:

>>> Likewise on Gentoo, "emerge -s | grep plt" gives these:
>>>
>>> dev-scheme/drscheme -- DrScheme programming environment.
>>> dev-scheme/mzscheme -- MzScheme scheme compiler
>>>
>>> I guess I want DrScheme?
>>
>> fluxus actually depends on mzscheme, but you'll want drscheme too
>
> I tried to install both, drscheme installed fine, but mzscheme wouldn't
> compile.  Then I checked, and drscheme installs a mzscheme binary which
> tells me:
>
> Welcome to MzScheme version 301, Copyright (c) 2004-2005 PLT Scheme Inc.
>
> The other mzscheme package was version 250 or so, much older.

ok, that should be fine then

> First thing I did was change prefix to /home/claude , which probably
> wasn't the wisest move, given the outcome..

yup, but we should be able to deal with it...

fwiw /usr/local/ should be safe for installing, as /usr/ *should* be where
distro installations go to (this is the case in umbuntu) - meaning you can
safely install things there without breaking distros, I'm no expert on
this though, so this might not be the case with them all.

> Then I had to hack SConstruct because Gentoo's drscheme keeps its stuff
> in:
>
> /usr/lib/drscheme/include/scheme.h
> /usr/lib/drscheme/lib/libmzgc.a

oh great! :(

> Then the old PNG issue cropped up:
>
> Checking for main() in C library png... no
> ERROR: 'png' must be installed!
>
> Relevant files are found using:
> pkg-config - Return metainformation about installed libraries
>
> On my system:
> $ pkg-config libpng --cflags
> -I/usr/include/libpng12
> $ pkg-config libpng --libs
> -lpng12
>
> And libpng docs state you should #include <png.h> and not any variant
> like #include <libpng/png.h> ...
>
> Then I had to change all
> #include <plt/scheme.h>  -> #include <scheme.h>
> #include <plt/escheme.h> -> #include <escheme.h>

ok, I'll change this

> Then I got:
>
> g++ -o fluxus-0.12 src/GLEditor.o src/Interpreter.o src/Repl.o
> src/Utils.o src/Recorder.o src/FluxusMain.o src/main.o -L/usr/lib
> -L/usr/lib/drscheme/lib -L/home/claude/libfluxus -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lm
> -lpthread -ldl -lmzgc -lmzscheme -ljpeg -ltiff -lz -lpng -lode -ljack
> -lsndfile -lfftw3 -llo -lX11 -lGL -lGLU -lglut -lGLEW
> /usr/lib/drscheme/lib/libmzscheme.a(env.o): In function
> `read_resolve_prefix':
> : undefined reference to `GC_malloc'
>
> plus several more pages of errrors, fixed by switching the order of
> mzsheme and mzgc in the tests (and thereby the libs linked).
>
> scons: *** Source `/usr/lib/plt/mzdyn.o' not found, needed by target
> `modules/fluxus-audio/fluxus-audio.so'.  Stop.
>
> -> /usr/lib/drscheme/lib/mzdyn.o
>
> Finally 'scons' completed successfully, but I had to abort 'scons install'
> :
>
> Install file: "modules/scheme/startup.scm" as
> "/home/claude/.fluxus/startup.scm"
> Install file: "fluxus-0.12" as "/home/claude/bin/fluxus-0.12"
> Install file: "modules/fluxus-audio/fluxus-audio.so" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/compiled/native/i386-linux/fluxus-audio.so"
> Install file: "modules/fluxus-engine/fluxus-engine.so" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/compiled/native/i386-linux/fluxus-engine.so"
> Install file: "modules/fluxus-osc/fluxus-osc.so" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/compiled/native/i386-linux/fluxus-osc.so"
> Install file: "modules/scheme/fluxus-boot.scm" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-boot.scm"
> Install file: "modules/scheme/fluxus-camera.ss" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-camera.ss"
> Install file: "modules/scheme/fluxus-canvas.ss" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-canvas.ss"
> Install file: "modules/scheme/fluxus-input.ss" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-input.ss"
> Install file: "modules/scheme/fluxus-obj-import.ss" as
> "/home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-obj-import.ss"
> [ at this point scons used a large amount of cpu time and more than my
> physical RAM of 1GB, so I killed it because my system was becoming
> sluggish due to excess swapping ]
> Terminated
>
> Any ideas on this issue?

I remember this from somewhere. For some reason I think it has to do with
having to crc all the files where it installs to so it can check if things
have changed. It might be worth upgrading scons, but I'd see if it
magically disappears first.

> I tried running it anyway, but got:
>
> $ ~/bin/fluxus-0.12
> default-load-handler: cannot open input file:
> "/usr/local/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-boot.scm" (No such file
> or directory; errno=2)
> $
>
> Naturally, having changed prefix, the file is here:
>
> /home/claude/lib/plt/collects/fluxus-0.12/fluxus-boot.scm

change COLLECTS_LOCATION at the top of main.cpp
I think I'll put this in the fluxus startup file to make it easier to change.

> PS:
>
> The INSTALL file still says:
>
> requires:
> guile      http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html

yep, none of the docs have been updated yet.
thanks for taking this on, see if you can get it to run, in the meantime
I'll make some changes to make simple to modify these things.