[fluxus] porting 0.12 to osx

Artem Baguinski artm at v2.nl
Thu Apr 19 06:48:33 PDT 2007

On 19/04/07, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
> > On 19/04/2007, at 11:05 PM, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> >
> >> Cheers - fwiw Dan Bethell got quite a long way with OSX porting,
> >> I'm not
> >> sure if he ever committed his work, but you should probably talk to
> >> each
> >> other (he's on list).
> >
> > Yeah, although that was some time ago and whilst looking at it again
> > the other day I realise I have no idea what I was really doing. Apart
> > from a few code tweaks like the glob thing I think it was pretty
> > straightforward to compile but getting the modules installed gave me
> > a headache. Is there a PLT env var for adding collects without having
> > to install them into the PLT/lib/collects path? That would make life
> > easier.
>
> You can set the collects path as a scheme variable when the interpreter
> starts up (potentially read from an env var by the embedding application I
> suppose)

then that's the way to go then:
- install dependencies (shared libraries) inside the .app bundle
- install fluxus collects somewhere inside .app bundle too
- make fluxus set the collects path at start up

fluxus still has to know where PLT is installed at users machine,
right? or should we bundle PLT inside fluxus? it really feels wrong.
but so does using osx to begin with ;-)

> I didn't do this, but I can't pinpoint the exact reason why. Maybe I
> didn't want the fluxus modules to be lonely... I think it would be nicer
> now though, considering this.

on linux we assume that most application get installed into one common
"prefix" or another (/usr, /usr/local or something like that). on osx
applications prefer to be lonely because of the different installation
philosophy.

--
cheers,
artm