[fluxus] a couple of questions

Artem Baguinski artm at v2.nl
Thu Mar 9 16:02:15 PST 2006

On 09/03/06, Alex <x37v.alex at gmail.com> wrote:
> first of all, is it possible to move the camera position
> programatically? I'd like to be able to have incoming OSC messages
> modify the camera position.

what i do is i create a large sphere and make it parent to the rest.
moving that sphere moves the whole world which is sort of moving the
camera.

> second, I'm trying to get my head around this but i cannot quite
> figure out how to do it.  I want to find the X and Y position of an
> object relative to my screen, I can get the position of an object, and
> find that relative to the camera, but i cannot figure out where to go
> from there.. basically i want the pixel position of the object's
> center, i'd like to use this to create sounds such that object's
> position on the screen is reflected in the panning of the sound, when
> i move around in the 3d space i'd like the horizontal position on the
> screen to continue to define the Left Right panning position of the
> sound.  Any help?

you should have a model of a listener and figure its position in the world.

basicly the listener is positioned like the camera. from there you can
get relative positions of objects and all.

the simplest way to program this imho is to use some 3D sound api,
like OpenAL. then you will just need to sync the listener in openal
program with camera in opengl program and 3d coords of sounds and
objects in the scene graph.

i have written a simple OSC controlled server in TCL and OpenAL to do
just that. I'm about to release it someday next week. If you want to
test it - I'll be more then happy ;-)